Monday, December 3, 2012

NFL Mock Draft Database

Back in 2009, I had a dream.  I wanted to create a database of all the NFL mock drafts leading up to the NFL draft in April.  However, I didn't want to simple list the compilation of all the mocks, but I wanted to run some algorithms on the mocks as a group and try and determine the consensus of the mock drafts to help predict what player each team will pick in the first round.  Think of it as a Five Thirty Eight-style approach to NFL's mock draft season.  I created Mock Draft Master.
However, it didn't take long for the work to maintain such an algorithm and database overwhelmed me.  With a regular day to day job, I didn't have the time to make it as great as I wanted to.  So, it languished and I eventually had to terminate the hosting because it was costing me money and giving me only stress.
But, I haven't forgotten about that quest and since it has not been replicated anywhere on the web during this time, I decided to try to bring it back, but on Blogger this time and with a much smaller database.
I'm still crunching the numbers and getting the algorithm tuned up, but I should have some evaluation of the mock draft situation around the time the draft order is completely set.
Right now, I'm working on evaluating past mock drafts to see who had the best mocks and who I should trust the most going forward.  This should be an especially fascinating NFL draft period without a solid number 1 player so far, there is going to be no consensus until we get much closer to the draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment